LMC History


T. L. Handy first welcomed students in 1923, and the original library was located on the second floor. Decades later, February 24, 1994** to be exact, the present Library Media Center opened its doors. Located in the areas first used as the original natatorium and locker rooms, the renovated first floor space houses approximately 17,000 items, and has a 3 class capacity. A full-sized computer lab is also attached, designated for entire class and individualized student research/use.

Strong reference and fiction collections, as well as the on-line catalog and research are hallmarks of the facility. Handy/BCPS is an original member of the Valley Library Consortium, and utilizes the VLC for both its circulation system and on-line catalog. Librarian Colleen Montalbano, a credentialed librarian, also holds a secondary teaching certificate.

The Library Media Center houses a large collection of novel sets for classroom use, a conference room for staff, and various technologies (flatscreen TVs, MoBi, CPS, document cameras, etc) to promote the educational process.

** part of the 1993 BCPS bond - Wakely Associates, architects